Halepa is located NE. of Chania on the heights that dominate the isthmus joining the Akrotiri peninsula with the plain of Chania. It began to be inhabited in the early 19th century by wealthy residents of Chania, with luxurious villas, rich gardens, and tree-lined streets.
In Halepa, was the seat of the General Governor of Crete, the villas of the Grand Consuls General Consuls as well as the French School of Nuns of the Battalion San Jose. The Prince, George, chose this area for his residence, which the inhabitants call a palace, as well as Eleftherios Venizelos. The house of Eleftherios Venizelos was built by his father Kyriakos and was completed in 1880, comprised of European elements. The palace, permanent residence Prince George, is a neoclassical building that was built in 1882. The building is characterized by its architectural elements, recesses, decorative stripes and the beautiful outdoor area full of flowers and trees.
Prince George offered 10 thousand roubles for the construction of the holy temple of Aghia Magdalene, a Russian rhythm, with its characteristic dome. The temple was built in 1901, to honor Mary Magdalene, in order to commemorate the eve of his wife Prince George in Chania. Later, in 1909 he donated it to the municipality of Chania.
In 2000, the National Research Foundation “Eleftherios K. Venizelos” was founded, when the Greek Parliament. ratified his statute by law and became one of his founding members. The seat of the foundation was housed in the Venizelos residence until 2002. Afterward, and especially after its renovation, Eleftherios Venizelos’s residence functioned as a modern museum. The aim of the foundation is the operation at national level of a dynamic European research and education center, which is a central institution for the coordination of research and study of the work, age and life of the great political and modern history of Greece without ideological commitments.
Evangelistria church: The area where the church of Evangelistria was built was open and in the south was the stables of the Turkish cavalry, where, after the departure of the Turks, the Russian Gendarmerie was housed. The plot was granted by the Cretan State for the erection of a large parish church. The Cretan State could not afford a drachma for the construction of the temple. With donations and lotteries, a sufficient amount is earmarked for its construction. The most difficult part of the project was housing and bell towers that required a lot of money. At that time, the idea is to expand the fundraiser abroad, especially in the Orthodox countries of Europe and in America, where the first Cretan immigrants are beginning to roots. Apart from money, this thought brought beautiful ecclesiastical items, mainly from Russia, such as the large central chandelier, the big bell, the epitaph, and other precious vessels. The Temple of Evangelistria is the largest of Chania, built in cruciform form dome and has a neoclassical element. The church was inaugurated on August 12, 1923.
The Halepa district is a wealthy neighborhood of Crete with a rich history that has left its markings all over the city, and each visitor deserves to spend some time browsing the beautiful streets and seeing its awesome buildings.