The Gialishi Mosque or Kuchuk Hassan Mosque is located at the Old Harbor of Chania and is the first mosque built by the Ottomans in Crete. It dates back to the second half of the 17th century and is the only one to be preserved until today.
It is one of the most important examples of Islamic art in the Renaissance. It was created in honor of Chania’s first garrison Kuchuk Hasan. Its shape is cubic and is covered by a dome without a drum, which is supported by four stone arches. On its west and north sides, it is surrounded by a roofed gallery, on the ceiling of which there are seven small domes, also without a drum. The minaret of the mosque does not exist as it was demolished in 1920.
On the outside of the mosque, there were palm trees and tombs of pasha. Until 1923 it functioned as a Muslim temple. After the departure of the last Muslims, it was used as an archaeological museum, warehouse, and folk art museum.
According to the findings of the archaeological service during the preservation work, it was found that a Venetian temple was in a place of the mosque.
Today, the monument is used as a venue for exhibitions and events during the summer months.