The village of Therissos is located at the foothills of White Mountains and at a distance of 16 km from the city of Chania. To get there, cross the beautiful and green Therisos Gorge, 6 km long. The road that connects Chania with the village of Therissos crosses the gorge, offering magical images of the wild nature.
Therissos village played an important role in the history of Crete, due to its fortification. During the Revolution of 1821, when Pasha Latif decided to enter the gorge together with 5000 Turks, at the entrance of the Gorge, 300 rebels waited, who fought hard and the village remained untroubled by the Turkish army. A remarkable contribution to struggle was provided by the women of Therisus, who carried water and ammunition to the rebels. In this battle, 500 Turks died. In 1866 Mustafa Pasha conquered the village and forced the residents to leave. During the looting, Pasha found a young woman who resisted delivering and mowed it with the stone of the oil mill, which was rescued and exhibited at the war museum of the village. Eleftherios Venizelos, whose origin is from Therissos, in 1905, organized a secret meeting in the chapel of Agios Georgios, where the revolution against Prince George was proclaimed. The aim and the demand of the revolution was the union of Crete with the rest of Greece. Prince George commemorating the great success of Venizelos and his supporters was led to the resignation in 1905. His position was reminiscent of Alexander Zame, a man who had the trust and support of both Venizelos and the Great Forces. In 1909, they announce the union of Crete with Greece and one year after Eleftherios Venizelos, elected prime minister of the country.
Visiting the village, apart from the magnificent scenery of the Gorge, it is worth to taste beautiful traditional Cretan dishes, admire the historical buildings, visit the chapel of Agios Georgios and the former Venizelos headquarters, and the National Antistaseos Museum, thus capturing a beautiful full of experience.